Friday, September 7, 2012

1,000 Wishes


Our oldest daughter turned 16 this summer.  Born with multiple disabilities and an ever growing list of challenges, she greets every day with a smile and has never asked us for anything.  She can't communicate, but we have learned that she is happiest when she is surrounded by family and friends.  Her birthday was a week long celebration of grandparents and friends dropping in to help her celebrate. 
My husband had ordered a box of wish lanterns and we launched them in the evenings whenever we had guests.  Everyone had a chance to make a special wish. 
We are a superstitious group and the adults didn't reveal our wishes, but I'm sure many of them were for Samantha's continued health and happiness.  My 6 year old daughter must have heard the story about the genie in the bottle, because she told us that she wished Samantha could have 1,000 more wishes.  Maybe that is what the rest of us 
were hoping for as well..... 


Linking with:




10 comments:

  1. Your wish lanterns are the perfect way to celebrate another milestone. Birthday blessings. Hugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful inspiring story. Thank you so much for sharing your 1,000 wishes on Simple & Sweet Fridays. I know what I'd wish for your oldest daughter.


    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wiping the tears from my eyes...what a beautiful story and what an incredibly wonderful celebration...wish lanterns -- how joyful...bless you all -- what a loving and true family you are...sending hugs and my own wish for your 16 year old and for all of you...bless you all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping and praying that all of your wishes come true. What a fabulous way to celebrate! Hugs to your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very sweet way to celebrate sweet 16 for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet story an a lovely idea for a memorable occasion! Thank you for sharing it at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful way to celebrate such a significant milestone. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday...we will be featuring it this week so be sure to stop by!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1000 wishes! What a great wish for her! I love your wish lanterns--that's a lovely idea. She's a blessed girl to be a part of your family--and I know that you're blessed to have her. May her year be full of all that makes her happiest. :)

    Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful party for a beautiful child! I hope all the wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I originally commented I clicked thee "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbo and now
    each time a comment is added I get three emails with the same comment.
    Is there any wway you can remove people from that service?

    Thanos a lot!

    My homepage; skin care cosmetics laboratories

    ReplyDelete