Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Vintage Inspired Mini Apron Tutorial

You might remember my post about these vintage mini bottle aprons I found on ebay.  I realized they would make a quick sewing project, so made a template and tutorial to share in case you want to make your own vintage inspired little aprons to use as a wine bottle wrap or hostess gift.  I have added a front pocket for you to tuck a little note in for your host or hostess.

Supplies needed:
9"x 9" square of vintage or vintage inspired fabric
                                             36" of 1/4" wide double fold bias tape    
    Download and print off the apron template here. (once the template document opens, push the download button in the upper right portion of the screen under the words "Apron Template".  Then you should be able to print it from your computer).  To check the proportions on your print out-the apron should measure 7 1/2" from the top of the neck opening to the bottom of the skirt.

    Cut out the apron and then fold the top toward the wrong side of the fabric once (approx. 1/4"), press and then fold again (approx. 1/4").  Sew this edge.

    Sew the bias tape around the rounded bottom of the apron.
    Sew more bias tape around the upper half of the apron (overlapping the first piece of bias at the base of the armholes).  Leave a 4 3/4" loop of bias for the neck opening (continue to sew the bias together along the neck opening).
    For the front pocket, fold and press the side and bottom edges of the pocket fabric approx. 1/4" (fold 1, fold 2, fold 3 on the pocket diagram) and then fold the top edge approx. 1/2" and press (fold 4).  You end up with a small rectangle you can stitch right to the top of the apron and the top fold is deep enough that no stitching is needed across the top.

    Mod Vintage Life








    The Shabby Nest


    2 comments:

    1. Adorable!Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
      Mary

      ReplyDelete
    2. We are kindred spirits. I have bottle aprons that were given to me by my mother. They were originally my grandmother's. I featured them on my blog here:

      http://kenward.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-4th-of-july.html

      What a fabulous tutorial. I'll have to share this with my mother.

      ReplyDelete